Tuesday, April 26, 2011

We Have Some Nice Friends

Team Cul de Sac, the Parkinson's research fundraising project started by the indefatigable Chris Sparks, has received some inspired contributions by artists and cartoonists. The recent donation pictured above is particularly eye-catching. It comes from Mr. Bill Watterson, who's got a dab hand with a paintbrush and whose beloved Calvin & Hobbes stands as the platonic ideal of the comic strip, or as close to as such a thing is possible. I once saw a comment on a comics thread from someone saying that he'd dreamed about hiking in the Cascades and coming across a church newsletter stuck in some bushes that featured new Calvin & Hobbes strips that were being published nowhere else. That strikes me as eerie and charming and a good measure of the depth to which C&H has permeated the popular imagination.

So I was floored when I got a call yesterday from Chris saying that Caty Neis, who's shepherding the Team book project at Andrews & McMeel, had gotten a painting from Bill. An oil painting of Petey Otterloop of all people. After studying it pretty closely for the last consecutive 12 hours or so I can say that he's done Petey as much justice as possible. Adding another dimension to a 2D character is a tricky business and Petey's awkward enough in dealing with the two he's normally confined to.

Thanks to Bill from the bottom of my heart. And thanks also to Alex, Jim, Jerry, Bill L, Crow, Stephan, Steve, Ron, Matt, Canaan, Jim D, Shannon, Pab, Matt, Mo, Mark, Lynn, Peter, David and everybody else who's contributing. I appreciate it more than I can say.

(Reposted from my blog).

1 comment:

  1. Richard,
    Please never quit saying nice things about me. It is always nice to show my wife and family members!

    I will be thanking everyone for years to come for the outpouring of support and love they have showed Team Cul de Sac. I am amazed everyday by the wonderful art that is coming in to the project.

    Thank you to everyone who writes in to me and offers to contribute or just to give words of encouragement.

    Bill Watterson is one of the best storytellers I have never had a chance to meet. Another great storyteller is Richard Thompson, I have been lucky enough to meet him.

    It is wonderful to see two amazing guys team up for an amazing project. I can't wait to see your art for the book Richard.

    Bill, Thank you so much for contributing to Team Cul de Sac. I hope one day I will get to thank you for your kindness in person.

    Please everyone, keep donating art, donate money, but the book when it is released and bid on the art. Lets cure Parkinson's.

    Sincerely,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete